Internships for Doctoral Students
Graduate employers across all sectors increasingly seek candidates with broad skillsets and experience beyond their research areas. In a tight academic job market, particularly in Humanities and Social Sciences, a well-rounded skillset acquired in a good internship program can make the difference, offering versatility and adaptability to other career paths.
CEU's Doctoral Internships Program seeks to expose doctoral students to working environments outside academia, for periods between one and six months, on assignments not necessarily related to their research topics.
The benefits of interning while studying:
- Develop a sense of workplace expectations
- Network with professionals in your field or related fields
- Acquire competencies transferable across sectors: grant proposal writing, client relationships, policy making, event organizing, etc.
- Develop 'non-academic' accomplishments to include in your CV
- Acquire different perspectives, understand your research in a wider context
Selected employers offering intership for doctoral candidates:
- CWI Internship - An incubator for talented PhD students active in mathematics and computer science research. CWI is the national research institute for mathematics and computer science in the Netherlands.
- UNU-WIDER (United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research) - Applicants must be enrolled in a PhD programme with demonstrated ability to conduct research on developing economies. Application deadline of are March 31 and September 30 each year. (Finland)
- RAND Corporation - RAND's Summer Associate Program introduces outstanding graduate students to the institution, which conducts research on a wide range of national security problems and domestic and international social policy issues. (U.S.)
- The World Bank - Minimum four-week-long summer and winter internships program for PhD in economics, finance, human development (public health, education, nutrition, population), social science (anthropology, sociology), agriculture, environment, private sector development, as well as other related fields. (U.S., some country offices)
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) - Ten to 13-weeks summer internship for PhD in macroeconomics or fields related to the IMF’s core work. (U.S.)
- UNESCO - Two to 6-month internship for graduate and post-graduates students in education, culture, sciences, communication and social sciences, law, human resource management, management studies, international relations, etc.
- J.P.Morgan - Quantitative Research internships for PhDs in America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East and Africa
- Resources for the Future - Ten-week Summer Research Internship Program in economic research and analysis regarding natural resources and the environment.(U.S.)
- Guggenheim - Museum internship for international students who study art, art history or related disciplines (Italy)
- Federal Reserve - Internships for Ph.D. in macroeconomics (broadly defined), international economics, finance, banking, and econometrics, to conduct research at the Federal Reserve Board. (U.S.)
- The Foundation of Political History (Politikatörténeti Intézet) - Internships for CEU PhD students interested in archive management and event organization (Hungary)
Want additional employers offering internships? Check often the CareerNext internship boards selection.
Questions re: funding, integration with your academic program, application packages? Contact us.